Welcome

Join the Edmonds family as they travel to Guinea, West Africa. Sent off by their local church as a support to the Jahango missions team, the Edmonds are sure to experience many adventures battling snakes, crocodiles, diseases, and more. You won't want to miss a single episode of the Guinea Pig Diaries.

Disclaimer: Reading this blog may provoke side-effects including but not limited to intensive prayer, missions fever, desires to give, and longings for the Edmonds to return.

Friday, July 13, 2012

July 13, 2012


God definitely has a strange sense of humour. 
We’re now about 4 weeks away from our departure and we’ve been studying more on the culture of West Africa, specifically that of the Jahangos and the people living in Boke.  Isn’t it typical of God to send missionaries to a place that is completely the opposite of their temperaments and personalities.  Here’s just a short list of what I’m talking about:
Guinea Cultural Norms and Expectations
The Edmonds Cultural Norms and Preferences
Social visits occur everyday, all day, at unexpected times, but especially in the evenings between 7 and 12 p.m.  Any time you go out, you must stop at every house on the way to chat.
Introverts.  Prefer to keep visits limited to early evening between 6 and 8 p.m.  Like to get to where they are going fast.  Really bad at chit-chat.
Indirect, non-confrontational communication.  You only confront or ask someone something in an indirect way or through an intermediary.
Prefer to confront things head-on.  Are very direct in their communication.  You say what you mean and you mean what you say.
Pants and long skirts are required.
Prefer shorts and capris.
Time is irrelevant.  No one bothers to be on time.  It’s ok to not show up for an appointment.
Always punctual.  Time is everything.  You never break an appointment.
Money is meant to be spent not saved.  If you don’t have money, go ask your neighbor.  The rich exist to give to the poor.  Anyone white is considered rich.
Money is kept in close account, only to be spent on important needs or in times of special celebration.  You only ask for money in times of extreme crisis.  We’re just poor white missionaries.

So I guess we’re going to have to go through some serious adjustments.  Though it’s not very comforting, Paul’s message on being Greeks to the Greeks is very applicable.  I guess I need to keep reminding myself that it is all for the sake of the gospel, “to win as many to Christ as possible.”  I also know this is part of why God is sending us, to help us learn to be more flexible and others-centered.  I still have many questions, however, most of them revolving around Kingdom culture.  For example,  How do I fit into the African culture, while still maintaining the type of culture that reflects the principles and expectations of Heaven?  What elements of my culture are Christian?  And which ones are just Western?  Which things can I sacrifice and which ones do I refuse to compromise on? 
These things may seem self-explanatory, but can prove quite a bit more complicated.  For example, Guinean culture dictates that the man of the house not participate in any house work and/or taking care of the kids.  These are jobs for the women.  If a man has to do that kind of work, he simply needs to find another wife.  However, I am used to helping my wife with the cooking, doing dishes, and taking care of the kids.  And I enjoy these things (except for the dishes).  Is this something I do because a Christian husband ought to?  Do I do it because of the west’s tendencies towards feminism?  Or just because that’s the way I was raised?  Should I stick to these and risk losing respect amongst the men in the village?  Or should I continue in this path hoping to inspire the men to step up and serve their wives for a change?
At the end of the day I’m excited to face these issues, knowing they will challenge and stimulate me.  However, I know they will probably become somewhat tedious after a while.  Still, I’m reminded of the great common denominator that I will share with the people of Guinea, the one thing I expect will bring us together, enable me to earn respect with the locals, and produce all sorts of bridges, connections, and relationships…that is, soccer.  Praise God for sports!
“Dear Lord, please help us adjust to our new environment and the local Guinean culture.  Help us to be sensitive and aware of the differences.  Help us to be wise in discerning which areas we can hold onto, and which areas we can compromise in.  Protect us from offending local people.  Help us all to be transformed into a Kingdom culture, one that honors and glorifies you.  Amen!”

1 comment:

  1. Wow! These sound like questions I need to ask myself!
    How do I fit into the this culture, while still maintaining the type of culture that reflects the principles and expectations of Heaven?
    What elements of my culture are Christian? And which ones are just Western?
    Which things can I sacrifice and which ones do I refuse to compromise on?
    We will pray for you to find the answers to these questions. We hope you share some of the answers.
    I once read the greatest barriers are not language, culture, or distance but rather attitude. We will pray that God continues to give you His attitude!

    ReplyDelete